Popular Opposition to the Ratification of the Treaty of Anglo-Scottish Union in 1706-7
- Karin Bowie, Scottish Public Opinion and the Anglo-Scottish Union, 1699-1707 (Woodbridge, Royal Historical Society/Boydell Press, 2007)
- T.M. Devine, ed., Scotland and the Union 1707-2007 (Edinburgh, Edinburgh University Press, 2008)
- William Ferguson, Scotland’s Relations with England: a survey to 1707 (Edinburgh, Saltire Society, 1977, 1994)
- Christopher Whatley with Derek Patrick, The Scots and the Union (Edinburgh, Edinburgh University Press, 2006)
- A history of the making of the union by a supporter of union: Sir John Clerk of Penicuik, History of the Union of Scotland and England, trans. and ed. Douglas Duncan, (Edinburgh: Scottish History Society, 1993)
- Memoirs of the making of the union by a Jacobite opponent: George Lockhart of Carnwath, ‘Scotland’s Ruine’: Lockhart of Carnwath’s memoirs of the Union, ed. Daniel Szechi, (Aberdeen: Association for Scottish Literary Studies, 1995).
- Parliamentary proceedings and acts: Records of the Parliament of Scotland